Sunday, June 12, 2011

Reflecting on a Memorable Assignment

When asked to think back on all of the assignments we have done this year, I had to stop for a moment and really think. The assignment that stood out over all of the rest had to be one of our first discussions. I've never really had a class discussion without it being complete chaos or complete silence. I was ready to share my thoughts and listen to others as well. I was actually excited because I had so many questions to ask and I was hoping my classmates would too. The assignment seemed difficult and not to mention confusing. Why would I write 10 questions I had....and then write the answer to them? I had difficulties writing my questions but in the end I walked into class with my thoughts typed on a clean sheet of stapled 8x11 paper- ready to share. I was nervous at first, but I got over it once I realized everyone else probably was too.

Once the discussion began, it was very exciting. Some people agreed, some argued, but everyone benefited. We were able to discuss topics on different levels which helped me really understand the literature. Viewing things from a classmates perspective felt so much more relatable. It was hard to say everything I wanted to and comment on everything I wanted to as the topic changed quickly. I learned how to work my questions and comments in while being respectful and attentive to the others as well. I worked hard and I was pretty proud of myself for trying something new. As we went through more and more discussions, everyone got used to them and knew what to do. Luckily, nobody was excessively rude or immature towards one another and although there were arguments, most people were still respectful. Discussions would have to be one of... if not my favorite parts of English this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment