Monday, October 18, 2010

Wuthering Heights



Hello again!
I am currently reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and I'm so far enjoying it (It's actually kind of unappealing to me and very boring at the moment but I find its better to lie). On the down side, it's very difficult to understand exactly what they are talking about. There are many characters and the relationships they share are still somewhat vague to me. Luckily I have a "special edition" copy of the book which provides me with some definitions to the complex vocabulary used. I can kind of assume what the word means just by the placing of it in the sentence though. For example if something said "He was thoroughly upset, he cried all of the time and had a "jakfloricmanicforce" mood. So obviously you could piece that together and assume its a dull or sad mood (not a real word by the way, or "btw"...I know the lingo). In Wuthering Heights, I try to assume what words mean due to the complexity of the writing style. 

I'm still not that far in the book so I guess I can't really critique it (I will be reading it up over the weekend because I've been busy lately). Hopefully its a good book, I'm not doubting that it won't be considering its in the "classics" section at Barnes and Nobles. Classics are always fun. I feel like I would try to reflect on theme in the novel because one theme is "money over love". This is used in many scenarios and was quite typical "back in the day" to marry for security and wealth over someone your in love with. For example, a movie set in the olden days: The Notebook. Allie ended up having to choose between Noah (the one she's deeply in love with) or Lon (the wealthy man who will provide her with a status and security). If you haven't seen the movie then I apologize. Anyway, this theme of "money over love" would be something I believe would be a good idea to reflect on during our creative projects.

An idea for a creative project would probably be a video. I feel like this would be the most effective and fun way to get a point or central theme across. I've always wanted to make documentaries so I feel like I could throw that style in there. I could maybe do a skit on film and then have separate interviews on what we thought the book was about so that we could all contribute ideas. So a movie of some sort is definitely in my field of vision. If that doesn't turn out then an art project would always be a nice option.



No comments:

Post a Comment