Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Extending the Theme

There are so many things you can learn by reading the book To Kill a Mockingbird. From growing up to life lessons to strong morals about that time period and many more. Harper Lee puts so many different situations into the novel that intentionally relate to the theme and overall send an important message about life to the reader. Reading this book brought up a few life experiences of my own. I would actually be shocked if someone read this book and could not in any way personally relate to the story somehow.

The book really spoke to me mainly because of Atticus. Atticus has to be one of my favorite father figures I have ever read about. He is such a strong character and is willing to stand up for what he believes in, which I admire very much. Most importantly, he represents a phenomenally important role model for Scout. A lot of the time he is considered "bad parent" by most of Maycomb simply because of the way he raises his children. The people of Maycomb obviously do not dig beneath the surface to see if there is a reason behind what he does, which usually there is. He has taught Scout and Jem many life lessons and morals that will later on help them become thoughtful, honest, strong and kind people.

 For example when he says, "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view- until you climb into his skin and walk around in it". This quote spoke to me because I often, unconsciously, judge people before I really get to know them, I know a lot of the people reading this have too, I mean really, who hasn't? It has almost come natural in our society to judge people simply on how they look, talk, or the way they do things. This was such a good thing for Scout to hear, especially at a young age, because it is so important to get to know people before you decide who they are on your own. To me, Atticus has been an absolutely outstanding friend, father, and role model to his children. 

"As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it-whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash."-Atticus (Lee 233)

This is another important quote, from Atticus, that again shows me what type of person he is. This is bringing to light that Atticus is such a tolerant (for the time period) and benevolent man. He sees one man just like he sees the next man, no matter what color skin they have. This is another reason why I love Atticus and his way of thinking. Of course I already know to treat everyone equally (which I normally do) but by reading this book Atticus has sort of renewed my thoughts and given me a new perspective on life itself. I see Atticus as a role model for myself (I know he is not real). I mean what better character to choose than Atticus Finch? 

I also love my own dad, hopefully he's not "offended" if he reads this.
Hopefully you enjoyed.

6 comments:

  1. Very well written! I really liked the way you used direct quotes to express your opinion on Atticus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Good job Emma. The thing I love most is your very first paragraph. It drew me in and made me want to keel reading. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a follow up question: In the 2nd paragraph you talked about people not going in depth to see why Atticus does what he does? What is Atticus's reason for being that kind of parent?

    Btw. Good Job! The 1st blog post I actually read all of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really good. I don't really have any criticisms, but i enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the second quote! And Emma, we know you know Atticus isn't real haha! I think you presetned Atticus really well. Nice add on at the end(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete