Monday, November 29, 2010

Important Skills: Extra Credit

Although I'm not positive if this is considered a skill, I feel that learning to annotate literature has defintiely been one of the most important things I have learned thus far. When asked to annotate our outside reading book I wasn't confident on what was being asked of me. Later on I grasped the idea and was annotating as I read. I felt as if I gained so much while annotating because each word I was reading I was saying to myslef "Okay, does this have a sybolic/literal meaning?" or "What is the author trying to say behind this?". Typically when I read a novel before I would understand the obvious meaning while running past the deeper meaning and figuratve language to where parts of the book became a massive blur. By annotating I literally study every page to comprehend farther than the average person would see. Not only do I now gain a deeper understanding for novels including their authors but I can also gain a new perspective on life itself.

(TWIST was a great way to do this)

No comments:

Post a Comment