Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Something Interesting

During the "Lobsters" fishbowl discussion I learned a lot about what the piece could be and what it means. Some ideas I had already thought about and others were semi-new. One comment that really gave me a new perspective on the poem was the idea of slave trade. Way back when people picked and chose their slaves relates to how in the story we pick and chose our lobsters. It was sort of the idea that we were the superior looking down upon someone or something. It also went along with the idea of when you take something out of its place it probably won't be the same. Such as taking the slaves out of the South, and taking lobsters out of the ocean for us to go out and buy/eat.
 I learned that some may fit in and are beautiful where they belong but when taken somewhere else they may be insignificant or looked down upon. Rather than thinking about the typical suggestions, I'm now thinking about historical references to times such as slave trade and even the Holocaust. Hearing that one of Mrs. Gilman's previous students researched that the author was involved in the war really geared my direction towards those kinds of ideas. I feel like this helped me see beyond then what I have been thinking this week about the poem and I have gained a new perspective on this piece of literature.

2 comments:

  1. nice job! I liked the slave trade idea to, very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the poem at that tone! And that comment also helped me see more deeply into the meaning of it.

    ReplyDelete