Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Keeping Things Whole- POL

To start things off, I am reading the poem "Keeping Things Whole" by Mark Strand. When choosing our poems for the Poetry Out Loud competition, I was instantly drawn to this poem due to its title. When I read  it, it made a lot of sense to me. Although there were very few stanzas, I felt like it had quality and more meaning than the others. Due to its shortness I continued to keep searching for something that seemed more "complex". When I searched, everything seemed to have useless words and phrases which really did not help me see what they were truly about. I felt like "Keeping Things Whole" would be the best choice because it is simplistic yet has a strong meaning.

In the idea of relevance to my life, there isn't a really definite comparison. I felt that this poem is somewhat relative to the idea that the narrator's life is lacking purpose. He understands that he must keep moving and going on with his life even though he is interrupting the existence and paths of others. This can compare with my life because I often ponder over the idea of waking up everyday and going through this scheduled routine. After reading this, the ideal thought that came to my mind was "Why do I keep moving?'.

How will I convey this in my performance? I'm definitely thinking of a sort of sad voice, but also in a wondering/questionable to show that I'm not sure about life. At the end I will draw more sadness or somewhat monotone to convey that I have accepted life being this way and I just need to keep moving. With facial gestures, I will obviously express the facial gestures that go along with my tone. Hand gestures, on the other hand (pun), are a different story. I'm not going to use anything very dramatic but more subtle such as a tap on my leg or a finger tapping my head/lip to show that I am pondering. Hopefully all goes well in my performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment