Friday, February 25, 2011

Great Expectations -Question about a Passage

"One black ox, with a white cravat on-who even had to my awakened conscience something of a clerical air-fixed me so obstinately with his eyes, and moved his blunt head round in such an accusatory manner as I moved round, that I blubbered out to him, 'I couldn't help it, sir! It wasn't for myself I took it!' Upon which he put down his head, blew a cloud of smoke out of his nose, and vanished with a kick-up of his hind-legs and a flourish of his tail." (page 15, Chapter 3)

This whole passage just kind of threw me off while I was reading. A couple questions I specifically had about it are...

1. Did this actually happen? I felt like the way it was written that Pip was dreaming or imagining.
2. Is this symbolism for something? I mean why would he just put that specific part in there? I felt it was a little odd.

Hopefully you can answer my questions!
Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I think that since Pip was feeling so gulty for taking the pie, he was imagining that the wind and mist was a bull yelling at him and charging, so he tries to justly his actions " I couldn't help it sir, it wasn't for myself I took it." I feel like this is symbolizing the guilt he is feeling, and demonstrating jus how bad Pip feels. Hope I could help!

    ReplyDelete